Meet your Principal
Broadway Early Learning Center supports the development of young children through high quality instruction, services, and partnerships with families and community organizations. Our goal is to guide the development of skills and behaviors necessary for success in school, and in life, while providing developmentally appropriate opportunities through an enriching and caring environment based on individual needs.
Welcome to Broadway families and students
Dear Broadway Families and Students,
Welcome to Broadway Learning Center for the 2019-2020 school year! If your student and your family are new to Broadway, we welcome you to our school family! J Broadway is home to the Longview School District Special Education Preschool Services (ages 3, 4, and 5). We also provide consultants to Lower Columbia Colleges ECEAP classrooms, and Early Head Start. All of the staff at Broadway are committed to serving your child with high-quality instruction.
As the Principal of Broadway, I truly believe this school family and community is amazing. A little about myself is I grew up and graduated from Longview School District. I have taught in Arizona as well as Seattle. I completed a Preschool through 3rd grade graduate program through the University of Washington to gain a broader perspective on alignment in our K-12 system to early learning programs. Early Childhood Education is the key to success for students later in their educational career, and we have a dedicated staff here at Broadway. We will be focusing on how to manage our “upsets” and learn to use the classroom safe place as an avenue to calm ourselves. Our goal is for students to learn to regulate themselves through appropriate avenues. Be looking for your student practicing the “STAR” – Smile, Take a deep breath, And Relax! You can practice too!
A big change for schedules this year at Broadway is we have chosen to move to school sessions on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. There will be NO SCHOOL ON Fridays for the 2019-2020 school year. This is time when we assess incoming students, and collaborate as a staff to meet the needs of your child and our classrooms.
Our daily schedule is as follows:
AM Morning Sessions (3 year olds)
9:15 Morning classroom arrival – Students are dropped off at the classroom door
11:20 Lunches served to students
11:55 Dismissal – students go to buses or picked up by parent (please be at the bus bench before 11:55am for a smooth transition home)
PM Afternoon Sessions (4 and 5 year olds)
1:00 Afternoon classroom arrival – Students are dropped off at the classroom door
3:40 – Dismissal – students go to buses or picked up by parent (please be at the bus bench before 3:40pm for a smooth transition home)
Wishing you well,
Megan M. Shea-Bates, Principal at Broadway
- Language: Receptive, Expressive, Articulation, Autism
- Cognitive: Memory, Kindergarten Readiness (Pre-reading, Pre-math)
- Social-Emotional: behavior (self-control) and self-regulation strategies, Autism
- Gross/Fine Motor: Muscle and skill development, sensory (autism)
- Adaptive skills
- High quality, developmentally appropriate, engaging, challenging, research-based.
- Preschool Standards based upon Washington State’s Kindergarten Standards in Reading, Writing & Math.
- Data driven on individual student needs. IEP goals are embedded within the curriculum and instruction.
- Small class size with a child-adult ratio of 3-1 (Fall); 5-1 (Spring)
- Child centered tools (toys, materials, etc) to address sensory, language, and motor needs.
- Highly qualified certificated teachers
- Masters of Education/Early Childhood Education
- Special Education endorsements
- Specifically trained for working with students 3 to 5 years of age
- Comprehensive Service specifically addressing students on the autism spectrum. (PIC classroom and Extended Day classroom)
- MDT/Evaluation/Annual IEP Reviews
- Progress Reports/Conferencing (Fall & Spring)
- Family events (September – Open House, October – Curriculum Night, November – “For the Children Bazaar” & The Feast, January – Curriculum Night, May – Art Beat, June – Graduation (4-5 yr. olds going to kindergarten) & Carnival
- Supporting Agencies: Life Works/ARC of Cowlitz County, Youth & Family Link, Progress Center (birth to 3 yr old), DSHS, CASA, St. John’s Medical Center, Pediatric Clinic, Columbia Wellness, Head Start/ECEAP, and other medical providers
- Home visits by Broadway staff.